users@woodstock.java.net

How to handle validation errors in a Table custom filter panel

From: Brett M. Bergquist <bbergquist_at_canoga.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:42:45 -0400

I have defined a custom filter panel and setup a Table to display this
panel using the proper facets of the table. This is working okay. The
problem that I am having is that inside the panel I have various fields
that are subject to conversion and validation. For example, I have a
text input field with an integer conversion and a range validator
associated with it.

If the user enters a non-integer value or one out of range and then hits
my submit button on the custom filter panel, the panel closes but the
form now has validation errors. The drop down shows "Custom Filter" but
there is no place for the user to figure out that the panel has errors
and has to change the drop down to some other value and then back to
"Custom Filter" to get the custom filter panel to display again and show
the field validation errors.

Now since the custom filter panel is part of the main form, none of the
actions on the form work since the custom filter panel has validation
errors.

I really need to do the validation on the server side and not the client
side.

So what is the proper way to handle this. I really would like the user
to see that there is field validation errors and either correct them.

Any suggestions will be welcome!

Brett