users@woodstock.java.net

RE: RE: Page Rendering Slow on IE 6/7

From: Alex Sherwin <alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:53:44 -0400

The “slow” rendering of the table you are seeing is the new way that
Woodstock components work, with Dojo. They do a full page render with a
bunch of spans and divs that have javascript on them (not your actual
components), and after the entire page is loaded, all that javascript is
invoked and your components are dynamically created by javascript and added
to the DOM.

For the table, you see a “flicker” because the table is initially drawn
empty while the page is loading, and then all the javascript is invoked to
fill all the table cells.

We have seen perf problems on specific components such as the calendar, but
much of what you describe can be avoided by changing that rendering behavior
with the attributes on the webuijsf:head tag. Specifically, look at
dijitAll, jsfx, parseOnLoad, webuiAll, webuiJsfx and webuiOnLoad. By
changing some of these, you can change the loading behavior of the page and
significantly improve the visual performance.

I say visual performance, because technically the way it is by default is
roughly the same speed, but you see an empty page render quicker, and then
get filled in… as opposed to changing these attributes to make the page load
flat.

Alex Sherwin

alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com