users@woodstock.java.net

Re: Woodstock custom components

From: Dan Labrecque <Dan.Labrecque_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:13:30 -0400

Caleb Land wrote:
> I was wondering if Woodstock was designed with allowing users to
> create custom components in mind. I want to create some client heavy
> components, and reading through the woodstock code, it looks like a
> great way to do it.
>
> Or is that stuff considered private?

Currently, the Woodstock team considers this library private. All our
public JavaScript functions are documented in the TLD docs. However, for
the 4.3 release, we've prefixed JavaScript functions and objects with
"_" characters. This is a typical convention used to indicate what is
private VS public. In addition, we shall begin providing jsDoc which
describes our public functions and their arguments.

That said, this library will be exposed via the Netbeans JavaScript
editor so developers can begin using widgets with PHP, JRuby, etc.
However, there are no guarantees that private APIs won't change in the
future. If you care about backward compatibility, widget developers are
free to take a snapshot of the Woodstock 4.3 library.

Dan