users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: Re: Re: overlapping websocket URI mappings

From: Bill Wigger <wigger_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 13:36:57 -0400

Allowing the user app to choose to do WebSockets may be a solution to
consider, something along the lines of exposing a WebSocket UpgradeHander
to the user app that the user could then call HttpServletRequest.upgrade
(...) with, not saying that is what should be done, but just throwing it
out there as an example of the direction we might want to take.

I don't think we should mandate the use of filters with WebSockets, filters
can have drawbacks (ordering, preventing other filters from running) and
there is nothing inherent in the websocket spec that needs filters. I'm
not saying implementations can not use filters, I just don't see a strong
enough reason to mandate the use of them.

So, I guess for now we are saying that it is up to an implementation about
how to handle WebSocket Endpoint and Serlvet mapping clashes, and that this
is an issue that needs to be resolved going forward, but isn't resolved
with the current set of WebSocket and Servlet Specs and APIs ?

regards,
Bill