users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: overlapping websocket URI mappings

From: Pavel Bucek <pavel.bucek_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:26:52 +0200

Hi Bill,

I can't find anything related in the spec, it seems to be undefined.
That implies each implementation can do pretty much whatever it wants.

I believe this is a consequence of loosely specified Servlet integration
(which was done intentionally if I recall correctly), which includes:

- Servlet 3.0 Scanning MUST BE used to discover endpoints in deployed
application (chapter 6.2)
- Programmatic deployment (ServerContainer registration in
ServletContext) (chapter 6.4)
- WebSocket root path relation to context path (chapter 6.5)
- HttpSession/Authentication (chapter 7.2)

, nothing related to potential conflicts with other Servlet/Container
path mappings (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The Reference implementations uses Servlet Upgrade APIs and registers
itself as servlet filter with mapping "/*" - if this would be written
in the spec itself, both questions can be answered by consulting Servlet
spec.

I don't think we should try to solve this issue in a way that checks for
duplicate mappings or tries to deal with that situation - servlet
already specifies ordering and mapping rules and we should not try to
modify it outside of "websocket app boundary". What we could do is to
allow apps to configure WebSocketServletFilter directly, so the ordering
will be known and defined and say that by default it will be handled by
ServletFilter registered as the last one, with (configurable?) mapping
(default value "/*"), but that would force all implementations to use
ServletFilter and that might not be something we want to do.

I guess it might be worth to file a new issue, or maybe "hijack" the one
you referenced: https://java.net/jira/browse/SERVLET_SPEC-132.

Regards,
Pavel