users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: WebSocketContainer lifecycle concerns

From: Danny Coward <danny.coward_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 09:39:33 -0700

Hi Joakim,

On 7/31/13 11:50 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
> I have 2 main concerns about the 1.0 API I'd like to see discussed.
>
> First, the WebSocketContainer (aka, the Client Container) has no
> clearly defined lifecycle.
> When is it to init/start?
> When is it to finish/stop?

Currently it has to start before the object is handed to the developer,
and it remains in scope until the developer deferences it.

> Second, ContainerProvider.getWebSocketContainer() is to return a new
> instance of a javax.websocket.WebSocketContainer on every call. (per
> the javadoc)
>
> Is this really what is intended?
Yes. I think the thinking was that some (most) developer may use the
same instance, but if you want to have a couple instances with different
default properties, you can.

> Or, like the server side's javax.websocket.server.ServerContainer, is
> there to be only 1, and each call to
> ContainerProvicer.getWebSocketContainer() returns the same instance
> (with the only nuance being that on a web container, each webapp has
> its own WebSocketContainer instance)
>
> If the implementation has resources that are managed to support the
> client portions of the WebSocketContainer, when and how do we clean up
> those resources? As there is no WebSocketContainer lifecycle [such as
> a .start() and .stop()] then there is no real way to know if the user
> of the WebSocketContainer is done with it.

Its true. We could look at a defined lifecycle for v2.

> Since API changes are not likely to occur, should we implement some
> sort of safeguards into the ContainerProvider.getWebSocketContainer()
> if too many WebSocketContainer references have been requested?
I think that would be reasonable to do in the meantime. Otherwise,
perhaps there is a way to use the WebSocketContainer instance as a
facade a pool of the 'real' container instances or something.

- Danny

--
<http://www.oracle.com> 	*Danny Coward *
Java EE