users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: Re: Streaming Options

From: Mark Thomas <mark_at_homeinbox.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:05:18 +0100

Resending from the right address.

On 13/07/2012 20:27, Justin Lee wrote:
> Even with an explicit frame size requested, intermediaries are
> allowed to break up frames based on whatever criteria they need, iirc.

Only in some circumstances - see section 5.4 of RFC6455.

The upshot of this is that we can't rely on just putting whatever data
is received into a frame and passing that to the client. If we intend to
handle frames arriving in drips and drabs (I can't see this happening
unless the client is misbehaving but we probably have to handle this
anyway) we either have to deliver partial frames or buffer until the
entire frame is received. The later solution doesn't scale so that
leaves us with the former.

Mark