users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: For Review: v002 API and example code

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:35:20 +0200

On 25 June 2012 20:44, Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org> wrote:

>> * Handshake: the API assumes the developer has minimal knowledge of
>> the details of the handshake process, save for the basic elements of
>> the URI, optional Origin check, subprotocol preferences. What's
>> missing ?
>
> I'm already seeing requests for pretty much everything available on the
> HttpServletRequest object. The general indication so far is that the WS
> API needs to be fairly low-level with the 'convenience' stuff left to
> the higher-level frameworks.

We are also seeing requests for pretty much everything:
  + headers
  + cookies
  + HttpSession
  + attributes
  + user identity / roles

Currently we keep copies of much of these for the duration of the
websocket - not sure that is a good thing.

More difficult is that we are now considering the multiplex extension,
which tunnels HTTP headers over websockets to open a new stream. The
problem is that it is very hard to replicate the handling of those
headers with regards to authentication and authorisation without
making a fake HTTP request/response and letting it propagate through
the container/filters etc.

I'm not sure how to solve that one, without duplicated all the
authentication/authorisation stuff in websockets.

regards

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
www.webtide.com