jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] Re: Cleaned up Configuration APIs

From: Mark Thomas <mark_at_homeinbox.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:22:27 +0000

On 16/02/2013 00:41, Danny Coward wrote:

>> The use case I'm thinking of is a large application with lots of JARs
>> that knows exactly which endpoints need to be deployed and does not want
>> to incur the start-up delay that scanning requires.
>
> Hmm. I see the usecase is useful. What would you suggest ?

Restore - in some form - javax.websocket.server.ServerContainer

I currently have this (it extends my WebSocketContainer implementation)
and adds a couple of methods for publishing end points to the server.

> We could make a special web.xml init parameter that could either list
> them, or alternatively could reference ServerApplicationConfigurations
> which could supply the specific endpoints.

I'd prefer a purely programmatic approach. Limiting this to something
callable via a ServletContextInitializer (rather than at any point in
time) would be fine with me.

> And a related question, is this your primary usecase for programmatic
> deployment ? i.e. if we solved the use case, would you still want it to
> be in the spec for some other reason ?

Yes, this is my primary use case. With my VMware hat on, the Spring
folks would like a purely programmatic approach too. I think Rossen
raised this on the public list.

Mark