jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] How to safely handle callbacks from other threads

From: Danny Coward <danny.coward_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:49:38 -0800

Hi Joe,

I'm definitely sympathetic with the scenario, and as you point out the
developer can schedule the 'external' thread by hand, even if its not ideal.

However, I suspect that coming up with a good, general solution to this
will require quite some thought, and from my perspective we're just not
in a position to design and implement new mechanisms like this at this
late point in the spec.

I know we have been accommodating smaller API changes up until this
week, but they were for pre-existing features like programmatic
deployment, and relatively well-understood areas like endpoint instance
creation. Both of which we've had time to chew on a few occasions
before. Most of our time since the new year has been spent, very
profitably I think, on clarifying the features we already have.

So I would like to punt on this for this version, and get it on the list
for the next version.

Thanks,

- Danny

--