jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Re: Client API: was Re: Ideas for narrowing scope

From: Scott Ferguson <ferg_at_caucho.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:23:42 -0800

On 11/13/12 2:56 PM, Danny Coward wrote:
> On 11/9/12 5:50 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> I'm assuming the client would use a new
>> ClientContainer.connectToServer method with a different signature.
>>
>> That looks fine except for path(). The path needs to be a parameter
>> (or config object)
> OK, so allowing non-URL paths sounds reasonable, so we could do
>
> ClientWebSocket
> String path(); // full URL to server endpoint or { variable-name }
> String[] subprotocols() default {}; // the subprotocols the
> client wants
> Class[] decoders() default {}; // installed decoders
> Class[] encoders() default {}; // installed encoders
>
> and how would we bind the variable-name at runtime ?

Maybe I misunderstand. I'm assuming the annotations would be used
together with ClientContainer like:

   ClientContainer.connectToServer(Object endpoint,
ClientEndpointConfiguration config);

Or maybe something simpler like

   ClientContainer.connectToServer(URI url, Object endpoint);

So the annotations on the class aren't used for the server's URL.
Instead, the URL is a required parameter to connectToServer().

Because it doesn't make sense to me to tie the client class to a
specific server URL.

-- Scott