jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] MessageHandler options: was Re: Call precedence of multiple MessageHandlers

From: Danny Coward <danny.coward_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 17:08:55 -0800

Thanks Scott. I'm going to think on this some more. But just to try to
contrast the two approaches so as to solicit more feedback, in case we
are missing something here:-

The two handlers policy:-
- max two handlers per connection, one for text based messages, one for
binary.
- call policy: ask the text handler to handle text messages, ask the
binary handler to handle binary messages
- unhandled messages: unhandled messages always cause an onError call.
- consequently, a maximum of two @WebSocketMessage annotated methods per
@WebSocketEndpoint class, maximum one with String capable arguments,
maximum one with binary capable arguments
- developer modeling messages with multiple classes does own
multiplexing and downcasting - if (message instanceof Apple) {} else if
{ } etc.

The many handlers policy:-
- many handlers per connection
- call policy: the first handler that can handle the message consumes it.
- same policy of unhandled messages: unhandled messages always cause an
onError call.
- maximum of one @WebSocketMessage annotated methods with the same
message argument type per @WebSocketEndpoint class.
- developer modeling messages with multiple classes has container do the
multiplexing

Other opinions ?

- Danny