el-next@uel.java.net

Re: Should FunctionMapper be deprecated?

From: Ed Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:23:50 -0700

JP> Would be it too much to assume that the class would already be a bean
JP> that we could resolve? If we had that limitation then we avoid the
JP> package problem.

Seems reasonable to me.

KC> Well, the point of using a static method is not requiring an bean
KC> instance. We should not have such restriction.

We don't have to instantiate it to know it has a static method. In JSF,
the ManagedBeanELResolver looks at the "base", checks if it matches a
declared managed bean name, and then, and only then, instantiates it.
We could have a new ELResolver in the chain, before the ManagedBean
ELResolver, that checks "base" to see if it matches a declared managed
bean, then looks to see if it has a static method whose name equals
"property".

The problem here is that the very concept of ManagedBeans is outside of
EL, so we'd have to figure that out somehow.

Ed