users@shoal.java.net

Can Shoal be used to create a Leader-Follower cluster?

From: Ramakrishnan, Lakshmanan [Tech] <Lakshmanan.Ramakrishnan_at_gs.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:05:20 -0400

Hi,

I am new to Shoal. So pardon my ignorance.

We are trying to create a cluster for our application and came across Shoal. Here is a simplified requirement. We have many instances of the application running one of them will be a leader. When this instance fails, another instance will become the leader.

Can this be implemented in Shoal? I see that there are 2 types of membership in Shoal ie spectator and core. Is there a way programmatically change the membership from spectator to core (and vice versa)?

Thanks
Lakshmanan