users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Shoal distributed cache

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:16:11 -0800

Hi Michael
Its great to know about your use of Shoal and specifically the
DistributedStateCache. You are right in your observation that the
current implementation is akin to an example for lightweight use cases
and we have hardly spent time on it to make it robust to compete with
other caching products. That is the focus of Shoal 2.0 that we are
beginning work on for a new approach at caching with high end
deployments in mind.

Could you consider contributing your version of the code to Shoal? That
way it can make it into the mainstream Shoal distro. Please let me know
and we can work on how to get you commit access and testing it for
continued stability of the code base.

I would be very interested in knowing your reasons for using this cache
as a substitute for Coherence as we know that the Coherence product has
been around a lot longer and deployed a lot more than Shoal DSC. Knowing
about the merits and demerits of Coherence versus Shoal would help us a
lot. Shoal's focus has been mostly on ensuring the Group Management
Services ( GMS) become robust and hence lack of development on the
esoteric caching area.

Upcoming work on 2.0 would address this shortcoming in a big way. :-)

Cheers
Shreedhar