users@shoal.java.net

Alternatives to multicast discovery

From: Jim Marino <jim.marino_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:02:10 -0800

Hi,

I'm looking at running our service platform which makes use of Shoal
for discovery and clustering in hosted environments where multicast is
not available (e.g. Amazon EC2). I have a very limited understanding
of JXTA but my impression is that it can be configured to use a non-
multicast protocol by configuring a rendezvous peer. I also came
across this write-up:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/shoal/Shoal+How-To+-+Configuring+for+cross+subnet+support

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to configure Shoal with the latest (December)
promoted build to work with a rendezvous peer and does the above
document contain accurate information. Also, there is a comment that
rendezvous peer configuration was temporarily broken. Has it been
fixed in the latest promoted build?

2. Will Shoal work with multiple rendezvous peers so there is no
single point of failure in the cluster?

On a slightly different but related topic, I noticed certain
clustering functionality such as HealthMonitor and MasterNode are
tightly coupled to JXTA. Is there a technical reason for this? If the
algorithms for determining things such as leadership and failure could
be decoupled from JXTA, it would be easier to plug in alternative
communications mechanisms such as XMPP or JMS.

Thanks,
Jim