users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] correct JXTA jar for shoal/signing problems?

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:00:09 -0800

Hi Olaf
I know that would be very ideal. :)

But... say, a critical bug is reported from an upstream project such as
GlassFish/Sailfin after a Jxta release and requires us to get a fix in
Jxta and thus to not be able to use a released version. And the folks at
Jxta cannot do releases for each individual critical fix we need from
them. When Shoal is released, we as a result cannot expect Jxta to have
a corresponding release or depend on their released version.

Same applies to any other external library, for instance, say, JGroups.
Or for that matter, a project having external dependencies such as your
own project, depending on the external Shoal library :)

Its pretty difficult to align these releases when our delivery roadmap
is being mainly driven by revenue oriented enterprise software that have
their own processes wrt the bugs that need to be fixed, etc.
particularly when they are close to a release. While being sensitive to
the needs of the community, we have to consider the above factors as
well. After all, our salaries are paid for by support revenue from these
upstream project so we can keep this project going. :)

We have been through a few iterations on this and reducing risk for such
high stakes projects wrt fixes coming to an external module such as say
Jxta for a problem unrelated to them is unacceptable to the upstream
projects.

Hence, we decided to have our own Jxta branch to control checkins for
only fixes we care about from Shoal perspective. Now the folks at Jxta
project cant do a release of this restricted Jxta branch given that
other fixes would not make it to the release and their community would
not be happy about it. So we do the best we can with available resources.

At some point in the near future, we will merge the Jxta branch into
mainstream Jxta trunk and move over to their released version but the
differential cycle will continue in my expectation.

I hope this explanation provides some context on our perspective on the
method to this madness :)
--Shreedhar