users@shoal.java.net

JXTA loses some packets

From: Mathias Chouet <mathias.chouet_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:26:41 +0200

Hello everyone.

I'm new to Shoal, and to be more precise I use it indirectly, through the
distribution framework known as FishFarm (https://fishfarm.dev.java.net).
The application I'm writing relies on FishFarm, thus on Shoal, to transmit
large messages from one host to another. The fact is when their size
increases, some messages are lost. For example, when trying to send 10
messages around 600kB each over Shoal, only 4 or 5 reach their destination.

Knowing that reliability is not the goal of JXTA, I intended to try to
provide an alternate configuration in order to make it more tolerant (tuning
TCP, multicast or whatever, I must admit JXTA's configuration seems very
obscure to me...). So my question is: is there a way to (re)configure JXTA
through Shoal, by passing directly any "properties" elements recognized by
JXTA, at instanciation time for example, or by a configuration file? I've
heard about ServiceProviderConfigurationKeys, but it seems to cover a few
parameters only...

Hoping this question has not been already asked, I thank you in advance for
any help.

Mathias Chouet