users@shoal.java.net

Shoal in the High Availability design

From: dow-yung yang <dow_at_naturaltel.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:26:36 +0800

Hi,

I plan to use Shoal for my HA(high availability) design in a project. The Active-Standby HA architecture is used for one of the servers. The other servers have to know which one is playing the active role. So the active node and the standby node will be the core members of the Shoal group and the other servers will be the spectators. I think the active node corresponds to the master node in the Shoal group. So if Shoal can add the MasterNodeChangeNotification signal, the servers that play the spectator role will get MasterNodeChangeNotification signal when the switch over occurrs between the active node and standby node. However, I found that even the server that plays the spectator role in a Shoal group can become the Master Node of the group in current Shoal implementation, which is an undesirable situation in my application. Or could you give me suggestions about how the Shoal could be used for my HA design as described above? Thanks.

Regards,
Dow