users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Multicast channel configuration

From: Валентин Алексеев <valentin.alekseev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:11:50 +0400

Hi Shreedhar,

Thanks for reply.
Looks like my explanation on configuration was a bit vague. What we are
trying to do is the following: we setup a cluster in network segment A and
have one detached node which can possibly run in a network segment B. Our
intention is to fully employ cluster capability in segment A and to be able
to send messages to nodes in this segment from segment B. The goal is to
hide possible node failures in A from detached node. For messaging we
currently use sendMessage(String, byte[]) on group handle.

A bit different problem may occur on multihomed systems. See
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4701650 on details.

To conclude: there are two separate problems.
First one: if Shoal runs separated by network segments a TTL needs to be
set.
Second: on multihomed systems due to Java's implementation of
MulticastSocket selection of outgoing network interface and address for
packet is unspecified by default and may lead to situation where data is
sent to wrong interface with wrong address.

To fix first I should use ServiceProviderConfigurationKeys to update TTL to
correct value. I see no solution now to address second one.