users@shoal.java.net

Shoal clustering

From: <Marijo.Cosic_at_de.ul.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:12:34 +0200

Hi Shreedhar,

thanks for your fast replay and sorry for my long ,-).

I think i started a new thread because somehow i canīt reply to the

Here some answers to your response from my last mail.

Q: Would the measurement equipment talk Java? Would they embed Shoal so
they can participate in the cluster? Or would each instrument call a
dedicated Java process that represents the instrument as a proxy?

A: My idea was to have one process that runs as a container for a specific
group of instruments. And each object in the
container would be a member of the cluster and represent the instrument as
a proxy.
In some other cases only one instrument which talks Java in some way would
participate in the cluster also.
So this would be a mix of use case scenarios.

Q2: If your question is that multiple components within the same VM each
representing an instrument joins the same cluster then that is something
we have never tried until now. We will need to look into that use case.

A: Yes.

Q3. Do you need to know when an instrument fails in either cluster? I
would imagine so. Shoal Failure Suspicion Notification and Failure
Notification can be very useful to M.

A: Yeah this feature would be very useful. So a technician would be
directly informed that something is going
wrong. Because in my plans for the abstraction a cluster would be also a
test where some instruments could work together to collect data or to
trigger other members of the cluster which are instances ( Instruments).

This are some answers to your reply. Shoal would be really a nice
abstraction layer for this use case. So i have to see maybe i have to
rethink the basic idea of the clustering but it would be realy nice to put
the a instrument on the network see him blinking online in a messanger and
tell him what to do ,-).

- For more information about UL Europe and its services, please access our website: www.ul-europe.com or contact your local office.

********* Internet E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer **********
This e-mail message may contain privileged or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or rely upon this
message or attachment in any way. If you received this e-mail
message in error, please return by forwarding the message and
its attachments to the sender.

UL and its affiliates do not accept liability for any errors,
omissions, corruption or virus in the contents of this message
or any attachments.