users@shoal.java.net

Shoal Questions

From: Mike Wannamaker <mwannama_at_opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:13:15 -0400

Hi,

I was wondering a few things about shoal. I am researching whether we
can put shoal into our system as the clustering framework. We currently
have our own api for cluster messages and we used JGROUPs for
communication layer.

1) In a multi-homed machine, more than 1 nic, can I specify the main
IP address I want a specific instance to communicate on?

2) Is there any performance data for shoal? IE: What the message
threshold is before you start saturating the network?

3) Is there a way to get the InetAddress of a machine through it's
messages? IE: When I get a JoinedAndReady notification or a Failure
notification can I get the InetAddress of the machine joined or failed?

4) Is there a way to set the time detection of a suspected failed
node? IE: Right now I think it takes around 20 seconds or so? Is this
configurable and at what cost?

Thanks

Mike