users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Group Membership Protocol

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:08:38 -0700

Hi Brian
With Shoal, a set of processes(JVMs) can each have Shoal libraries
loaded in-process so that components within each process can call Shoal
apis with individual member names and a common group name to communicate
with cluster members.
The Shoal GMS (Group Management Service) core implements infrastructure
code to support client api calls and a Service Provider layer allows for
inclusion of Group Communication Systems such as Jxta to be used for
Group Member Protocols and Communication. Shoal's default service
provider implementation has a set of classes providing group
communication protocols over Jxta platform.

In our tests with Shoal and a lightweight client layer, we have scaled
upto 32 nodes. With GlassFish v2 Application Server, we have scaled to 8
nodes in a cluster. Effectively, scaling would vary depending on several
factors such as available heap space, load characteristics of the
application that consumes Shoal, and OS type (32 bit v/s 64 bit), etc.

For using Shoal, do take a look at this introductory user guide blog
entry here : http://blogs.sun.com/shreedhar/entry/shoal_clustering_101

Hope this is helpful. Do let us know if you have more questions.

regards
Shreedhar Ganapathy