dev@shoal.java.net

About an improvement of JXTA dependency

From: Bongjae Chang <carryel_at_korea.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:19:14 +0900

Hi.

I know that the Group Communication Provider API provides for integration of any group communication technology and current Shoal's SPI Impl is JXTA.

I am interested in alternating JXTA group communication module recently, so I am trying to review SPI Impl for JXTA.

Actually, I would like to be trying to apply a SPI impl for our network layer which is our company's network module in Web Application Server(JEUS) to Shoal without JXTA experimentally.

Shoal has two following packages which are dependent on JXTA as you know.
- com.sun.enterprise.ee.cms.impl.jxta.*
- com.sun.enterprise.jxtamgmt.*

When I reviewed packages and classes which were concerned with JXTA, I thought most of above classes and algorithms could be reused.

I think that ClusterManager, ClusterViewManager, MasterNode, HealthMonitor, ViewWindows, MessageWindows, DistributedStateCacheImpl and other classes(etc...) which are dependent on JXTA in above packages already play an important part in Shoal.

So I would like to make the best use of above packages' classes if possible.

For example,
- If SystemAdvertisement is not a class but a interface and integer ID replaces net.jxta.id.ID as unique ID, all com.sun.enterprise.ee.cms.impl.jxta.* classes can be reused without JXTA.
- If Shoal has own additional APIs and interfaces like net.jxta.endpoint.Message, sender API and net.jxta.pipe.PipeMsgListener for receiver API, com.sun.enterprise.jxtamgmt.* can be resued as well. Then, most of algorithms can be recycled such as master's discovery and selection algorithm.

So, I am curious to know that you are making more plans for integration of any group communication module like abstracting and reusing above modules and eliminating JXTA's dependency.
And I would like to know an outline such as a future schedule for more abstractions of the communication layer if you are planning.
ex) whether glassfish V3 will be able to include new Shoal version which can support any group communication module like JGroup or not.

Thanks.

--
Bongjae Chang