users@servlet-spec.java.net

[servlet-spec users] Should Servlet 3.0 compliant Web Container process @WebServlet annotation if app's web.xml is version 2.5?

From: <mims8010_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:00:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I need your expert opinion and clarification regarding the following
extract from the Servlet 3.0 Specification:

 1.6.2 Processing annotations
In Servlet 2.5, metadata-complete only affected the scanning of
annotations at
deployment time. The notion of web-fragments did not exist in servlet
2.5. However
in servlet 3.0 metadata-complete affects scanning of all annotations
and webfragments
at deployment time. The version of the descriptor MUST not affect which
annotations you scan for in a web application. An implementation of a
particular
version of the specification MUST scan for all annotations supported in
that
configuration, unless metadata-complete is specified.

Does this mean that if we have a web application with web.xml with
version attribute 2.5, a servlet annotated with @WebServlet and
metadata-complete is set to false,
 then should a Servlet 3.0 compliant Web Container process this
@WebServlet annotation?

Thanks!

Regards,
Maria