jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: Question about TLS 1.2 Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation Extension

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:40:33 -0800

EB> I am willing to try. I must set one precondition before I can credibly
EB> make such a request: establish a precedent.

MT> Why do we need a precedent? That creates a chicken / egg problem.
MT> Something has to be first. Why not this?

Mark, I'm going to ask you to trust me on this. It would be much easier
with a precedent.

MT> Does it have to be part of the standard release? Could it be in some
MT> form of add-on much like JSSE was when it was first introduced?

That sounds like some kind of precedent at least. Can you please share
with the group the story of how JSSE was introduced? Sure, we could
look it up, but I want to benefit from your unique historical flavor in
the retelling.

MT> If this remains a container concern then - given that the implementation
MT> is going to have to be specific to at least the JRE vendor if not the
MT> specific JRE release - this creates a huge amount of work for container
MT> implementers and/or significantly reduces the number of JREs that JavaEE
MT> 8 implementations will be able to run on.

In any event, it will be in the OpenJDK, and thus available for forking.

MT> Another option is drop HTTP 2.0 support until JavaEE 9. I do not think
MT> that is an option we should pursue.

Certainly not.

EB> Is there any precedent for such a large new feature, with
EB> significant public API, to be introduced in a "dot release" of Java
EB> SE? I know of none off the top of my head, but I know I have many
EB> gaps up there, particularly the older I get.

MT> None come to mind.

Thanks for considering it.

Ed