jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] NIO specification clarification

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 21:50:02 -0400

I've been looking in detail at the NIO changes and have a couple of
questions. In section 3.7 we have the following:

The Servlet container must access methods in ReadListener in a thread
safe manner.

There is equivalent text in section 5.3:

The Servlet container must access methods in WriteListener in a thread
safe manner.

I recall some discussions around this area but not this exact language.
It is not clear to me how one accesses a method in a thread safe manner
since thread safety is a property of the method implementation not of
how it is accessed. A search of the archives did not provide any
illumination either. So, I have two questions.

Q1. What exactly does the above mean?

Q2. Why was this requirement added?

Cheers,

Mark