jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] cookie-config:secure=false

From: Rémy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:41:48 +0100

On 03/21/2013 09:37 PM, Shing Wai Chan wrote:
> In the schema, web-common_3_1.xsd (and web-common_3_0.xsd), we have
> the following
> <xsd:element name="secure"
> type="javaee:true-falseType"
> minOccurs="0">
> <xsd:annotation>
> <xsd:documentation>
>
> Specifies whether any session tracking cookies created
> by this web application will be marked as secure
> even if the request that initiated the corresponding session
> is using plain HTTP instead of HTTPS
>
> </xsd:documentation>
> </xsd:annotation>
> </xsd:element>
>
> When it is HTTPS and secure = false, we have a cookie with Secure
> attribute in our implementation.
> Do we need any clarification in the above description?
Probably this kind of setting it useful when using a proxy that uses
https with the client and the application server is communicating with
it with something lighter like regular http or ajp. If that's the use
case you're thinking about and you think it is not as clear as it should
be, you could add ", for example when using a proxy server".

Similarly, could the opposite be true ? [as in, it is possible to
configure the cookie as not secure even if the connection is apparently
secure, due to some proxying] This seems a bit less likely to me, but
perhaps we should be careful.

Rémy