jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] NIO and threading

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:12:57 +0000

While working on WebSockets, another threading issue occurred to me that
I think it would be useful to clarify in the Servlet specification.

My assumption is that there will never be concurrent calls to
onWritePossible() for the same listener instance for a given socket. I
can't think of any situations where this would be desired or useful. Can
anyone else? If not, is there any reason not to add this clarification
to the specification and a similar one for onDataAvailable().

As an aside, I don't see any reason why there would not be concurrent
calls to onWritePossible() and onDataAvailable(). Again, adding some
clarification to the specification is likely to be helpful to developers.

Mark