jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: Candidate draft Servlet 3.1 Public Review

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:13:04 +0000

On 20/12/2012 14:25, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On 12/18/2012 12:31 AM, Shing Wai Chan wrote:
>> I have just uploaded a candidate draft for Servlet 3.1 Public Review.
>> The spec pdf and javadoc can be downloaded in the following:
>>
>> http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/downloads/directory/Public%20Review
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shing Wai Chan & Rajiv Mordani
> Good job on reaching the milestone.
>
> - page 24: "Path parameters that are part of a GET request (as defined
> by HTTP 1.1) are not
> exposed by these APIs. They must be parsed from the String values
> returned by the
> getRequestURI method or the getPathInfo method." I don't recall the
> discussion about this. The current Tomcat implementation always parses
> query parameters for all HTTP methods if any of the getParameter* family
> are called (and it seems to me like the logical behavior), so it is
> certain it will break existing applications.

path parameters != query parameters

That language has been in the spec since at least Servlet 2.3 so I don't
think that this is a change.

Given that the a path parameter is a triple (name, value, location)
rather than a pair (name, value) as is used for query parameters I don't
see how path parameters could ever be exposed through the existing API.
(As an aside. internally Tomcat does process path parameters as pairs
ignorinh location but that is because the only path parameter Tomcat is
interested in is jsessionid and location is not significant in that case).

Mark