jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: SERVLET_SPEC-13: Make session fixation protection part of the spec

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:15:26 +0000

On 18/01/2012 07:46, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 17:36 -0800, Shing Wai Chan wrote:
>> I am looking at http://java.net/jira/browse/SERVLET_SPEC-13
>> ("SERVLET_SPEC-13: Make session fixation protection part of the spec")
>
> As the container would use this automagically, it would break existing
> applications (the session id is used often as a key).

I've seen little evidence of that on the Tomcat users list since Tomcat
7 introduced this behaviour by default.

There was one instance where an applet broke because it continued to use
the old session ID and didn't pick up the new one.

That said, it would be advisable for containers to make any automatic
use of this API configurable.

> The new changeSessionId API method, if added, must be added on the
> request object (since the request has fields about the session that must
> be updated, and a new cookie must be added). So -1 for adding it on
> HttpSession, I think this won't work well.

Makes sense to me. Tomcat's implementation already has this so plumbing
it in to the Servlet API would be trivial.

Mark