jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: Proposal for WebSocket to be part of JSR 340

From: Remy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:36:52 +0200

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 09:13 +1100, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> This kind of thing has been extensively discussed in the working
> group. The reason that frames are not exposed to the browser API and
> are not intended to be exposed on the server side is precisely because
> it is NOT the intention of websockets to allow semantic meaning to be
> attached to any boundary less than a message. If an application
> wants to handle "chunks" of data, then they need to send each chunk as
> a separate WS message.

Ewwww, ugly ;) I didn't remember reading these warnings in the spec
document though, so are you sure this is really clear for all websocket
protocol developers out there ?

In HTTP land, although a transfer encoding like chunking cannot be used
for internal content delimitation in theory, in practice it works and
it's awfully convenient when you use something like the Servlet 3.1 IO.

--
Remy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com>
Red Hat Inc