jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] NIO.2 in servlet 3.1 ?

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:49:53 +1000

Is there a rough proposal yet of what aspects of NIO.2 that might be
exposed in servlet 3.1?

We've had a bit of a look at NIO.2 to consider if we can rework much
of the jetty IO layer to use it, but have concluded that while the API
does give very simple clean async code, it is not really suitable for
large scale deployments as it has a number of scalability issues (eg.
must allocated read buffers for idle connections and some
inefficiencies with double dispatch to thread pools for each read).
Thus we are unlikely to adopt NIO.2 as the core IO mechanism.
However, we should be able to expose NIO.2 interfaces over NIO.1 IO.
 So any use-cases, examples or thought bubbles about NIO.2 usage plans
would be helpful to guide NIO.2 adoption plans.

cheers