users@jsr311.java.net

Re: jax-rs design opportunities

From: Stephan Koops <Stephan.Koops_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:55:40 +0100

Hi Monte,

> I would recommend the specification be re-reviewed from the
> perspective that ResponseBuilder doesn't exist to ensure that jax-rs
> can meet the need without using it. In my opinion, ResponseBuilder is
> a "ch-easy" practice that has specific limited uses that should be
> discouraged as a "pattern." Don't get me wrong, I understand why it
> was necessary to include, which may be fine for anything other than an
> enterprise class entry.

Do you have concrete proposals?
How should the JAX-RS method set the HTTP status, a location where to
find the result, the expires header, the language of the content, the
last modified date, the media type and so on?
JAX-RS is HTTP centric (see JAX-RS sepc (e.g.
https://jsr311.dev.java.net/nonav/releases/1.1/spec/spec.html), section
1.2). I understand, that you don't want this HTTP centricity?

best regards
   Stephan