users@jsr311.java.net

Re: RuntimeDelegate.createEndpoint()

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sergey.beryozkin_at_iona.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:01:41 +0100

Hi

> On May 30, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I mixed 'former' word with the 'latter' word : too complex for me :-)
>> I just wanted to say that if a 2nd parameter is removed then it's a void return otherwise, if null is passed then null is
>> returned andin both cases a WebApplicationException is thrown in case of a failure...
>>
> But then there'd be no way to stop the published endpoint programmatically.

Perhaps

the second parameter can be treated as a endpoint interface class ? In that case the return value would be the endpoint interface,
it could be either a javax.xml.ws.Endpoint or some other endpoint interface JAX-RS might introduce later...Perhaps not even a class
but a type-safe enum value can be passed in which would represent the name of the endpoint class to avoid a direct dependency on
JAX-WS api.
Not sure though...
Perhaps it might be worth giving more thought to the idea of introducing a new interface. While it would resemble the jaxws one, it
can have more useful JAX-RS specific methods on it, etc... In the end of the day people can write RESTful services with JAX-WS
Provider<Source> just fine (we ceratinly have some experience), without even sprinkling the code with annotations :-), but it didn't
stop the JAX-RS experts to come up with a new/fresh idea, even at the cost of duplicating some of the functionality which can be
achieved with JAX-WS today...

Cheers, Sergey

> Marc.

Registered Number: 171387