dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Application/ApplicationConfig as interface

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:59:32 -0400

On Jul 14, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> Had a request from a contributor to make ApplicationConfig (or
>>> whatever the name is now) an interface.
>> That would make it difficult to add new methods later...
>
> Then have an abstract helper class that implements the interface.
> Also, I don't get your argument. If you add any new abstract
> methods, you have the same problem.

If its an interface then applications that implement it directly will
be broken by the addition of any method. If its an abstract class then
we can add new concrete methods in the future without breaking
existing apps. Adding a helper doesn't fix the issue for anyone
implementing the interface directly.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>