dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Limit extensions pre-processing

From: Stephan Koops <Stephan.Koops_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:38:22 +0200

Hi Stefan, hi all,
>> Given the above I think the only reasonable thing to do right now is
>> to remove the automatic URI-based conneg feature. Even limiting it to
>> safe operation would violate the mapping of specific resources to
>> generic resource classes. If we had a longer than the two weeks
>> remaining before proposed final draft we could perhaps investigate
>> other approaches but that's not an option for this rev of the
>> specification.
> Can't we take the middle ground and make this an optional feature,
> de-activated by default?
If you give no extensions for the extension mapping, it is switched off.

For PUT (and e.g. POST) I prefer not to use the conneg in the now
defined way for another reason: If I send an entity e.g. a file from a
filesystem, and the file name ends with ".xml" for example, than the xml
is the mime type of the file to upload and not the requested mime type.

best regards
   Stephan