dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Error in JAX-RS method finding algorithm?

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:25:22 -0500

On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> I think there is an error in the algorithm in the JAX-RS specs for
> choosing the resource method (see bullet 2. in section 2.6)

I'm not sure but you may be looking at an older version of the
specification. The latest is linked from http://jsr311.dev.java.net/.
However I think your comment is still relevant, more below.

> Consider the following scenario:
>
> I have a resource with 2 methods:
>
> @HttpMethod("GET")
> @UriTemplate("/users/{id}")
> @ProduceMime("text/xml")
> public Response getUser(@UriParam("id") String id) throws Exception
> { ....}
>
> @HttpMethod("GET")
> @UriTemplate("/users/{id}")
> @ProduceMime("application/json")
> public Response getUserJSON(@UriParam("id") String id) throws
> Exception { ....}
>
> If I then send a request to /users/24 with Accept headers of "text/
> xml, */*" one would expect the "text/xml" method to be invoked.
> However following the algorithm in the spec it is undefined which
> method should be invoked.
>
> More details:
>
> In the algorithm, both methods match the accept headers i.e. they
> are both added to the list of "matching resource methods" This list
> is then sorted using the consume mime type (not relevant in this
> case) and then by the produce mime. In this case it will compare
> "text/xml" against "application/json". As both are equally specific
> it is undefined which should be first.
>
> However surely as the "text/xml" method matches the accept header
> specifically it should always be returned first? See - http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html
> for further details
>
> One solution would be to change the algorithm to the following:
> • Sort the Accept header according to the W3 standards
> • Iterate through the accept header list. For each one:
> • Find all matching methods
> • If there is only one method return this and break out of the
> accept header loop
> • If there are multiple methods sort these methods using consume
> mime and produce mime. Then return the first.
> Therefore when accept header of "text/xml, text/*, */*" is sent in.
> Methods matching "text/html" are first searched for then "text/*"
> then "*/*". I think this would solve the problem.

You are describing the intended behavior, perhaps the spec could do
with some clarification. Section 2.5 step 3(b) says:

"Sort M using the media type of input data as the primary key and the
media type of output data
as the secondary key.

Sorting of media types follows the general rule: x/y < x/* < */*, i.e.
a method that explicitly lists one of the requested media types is
sorted before a method that lists */*. Quality parameter values are
also used such that x/y;q=1.0 < x/y;q=0.7."

The second paragraph is meant to cover your scenario. The getUser
method in your example explicitly lists "text/xml" from the accept
header so it would be sorted before the getUserJSON method.

Would the following modified first paragraph be clearer:

"Sort M as follows:
- The primary key is the media type of input data. Methods whose
ConsumeMime value most closely matches the media type of the request
are sorted first.
- The secondary key is the ProduceMime value. Methods whose value of
ProduceMime most closely match the value of the request accept header
are sorted first."

I will also add a reference to the appropriate section of the RFC to
the second paragraph.

Thanks,
Marc.

> This isn't some arbitrary obscure scenario.
>
> Looking at firefox's defaults it sends "text/xml,application/
> xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/
> png,*/*;q=0.5"
>
> Surely for a request from firefox I'd expect to get back one of the
> stated accepts not "application/widget" or "application/json"?
>
> Barry

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.