dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: No _at_OPTIONS _at_TRACE

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:20:25 +0100

Hi Bill,

I agree with @OPTIONS. Note that OPTIONS is supported by default if the
developer does not support it (like HEAD).

In addition i think @HttpMethod should also be allowed on methods, thus
a developer does not have to create a new annotation for supporting a
new method, like @PATCH.

Not sure about an annotation for TRACE [1]. IIUC this is very specific
functionality w.r.t. the origin server:

   TRACE allows the client to see what is being received at the other end
   of the request chain and use that data for testing or diagnostic
   information.

   If the request is valid, the response SHOULD contain the entire
   request message in the entity-body, with a Content-Type of
   "message/http". Responses to this method MUST NOT be cached.

It is very unlikely that a developer will want to implement this
themselves. If fact i am wondering if we should allow developers to
implement this at all. I think the JAX-RS runtime should provide support
this method.

Paul.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.8

--