dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Platonic URIs

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:56:46 -0400

On Sep 26, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Ryan McDonough wrote:

> I'm wondering if this logic could be tied to some of the content
> negotiation
> topics that we have been discussing in other threads?
> Fundamentally, the
> function of platonic URIs is another form of content negotiation but
> initiated by the URIs extension rather than the accept header. You
> could
> even go as far as saying it can override the accept header values
> if needed.

Yes, that's along the same lines I was thinking.

> While I'm all for the idea, I'm curious if we are potentially creating
> another logic path to do the same thing? I know it's a big change,
> but it
> may be worth considering a way to tie the extension to the
> @ProduceMime
> annotation.

Right, that's what I was suggesting in my last mail.

> Yes it could get ugly, but it will keep things consistent for
> both types of negotiation mechanisms. For example it could be that
> we have:
>
> @UriTemplate(value="{id}")
> @HttpMethod
> @ProduceMime(variants={_at_Variant("application/xml;q=0.7","xml"),
> @Variant("application/json;q=0.9","json")})
> SomeItem getItem(@UriParam("id") String itemId) {

I like the idea in general but I'm not sure it makes sense to put the
mapping information in an annotation like that. Seems to me that
you'd want to define the mapping once per application rather than per-
resource or per-resource method so I think we'd be looking at some
kind of per-application configuration file instead.

Off the top of my head we could support something like:

@UriTemplate("{id}")
@HttpMethod
@ProduceMime("application/xml")
SomeItem getItem(@UriParam("id") String itemId)

with a configuration file:

<application xmlns="...">
   <extensions>
     <extension value="xml" mediaType="application/xml"/>
     <extension value="json" mediaType="application/json"/>
   </extensions>
</application>

such that

GET /1.xml
Accept: */*

is treated identically to

GET /1
Accept: application/xml

Question: should an extension override an accept or enhance it, e.g.
should

GET /foo.json
Accept: application/xml

cause an error (assuming .json was mapped to application/json) or
should it effectively add application/json to the Accept value ?

Marc.