dev@jsr311.java.net

RE: Mapping POJOs

From: Jerome Louvel <jerome.louvel_at_noelios.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:49:23 +0200

Dhanji,

> I agree (in welcoming RESTlet as a starting point). I dont
> have any experience with it either so can't comment about it.
>
> Jerome, what is it that you feel jsr311 should do that
> Restlet doesnt (or vice-versa) and what are your reasons for
> keeping them separate?

I think there are two main design dimensions, with a low-level and a
high-level for each of them:

1) Request processing flow abstraction
The low-level is dealing with raw socket connections and request/response.
The high-level is dealing with "calls" (unification of request and response)
or even "contexts" (calls + environment info/services).

2) REST/HTTP semantics abstraction
The low-level is dealing with persistent connections, pipelining,
reading/writing. The high-level is dealing with resources, representations,
content negotiation, etc.

See the attached illustrations for a tentative scoping of the JSR311 vs
Restlet and Servlet.

Best regards,
Jerome

JSR311-Servlet.png
(image/png attachment: JSR311-Servlet.png)

JSR311-Restlet.png
(image/png attachment: JSR311-Restlet.png)