dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Mapping POJOs

From: Stefan Tilkov <stefan.tilkov_at_innoq.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:04:38 +0200

On Apr 13, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Marc Hadley wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow all the nuances of this aspect of the
> discussion. In my view we are trying to produce an API that makes
> it easy to build RESTful services, we aren't trying to build a REST
> API.

Is the term "REST API" misleading? I wasn't aware it could be. When I
use it, I'm referring to the RESTful Web API an application exposes -
e.g. I would call the Google Calendar Data API a "REST API". I would
say every WADL file describes a Web API, and if it follows REST's
constraints (is RESTful), a Web API is a REST API.

So I agree we're not trying to build a REST API. We're trying to
produce an API "that makes it easy to build RESTful services", which
in my words translates to "that makes it easy to build REST APIs".

But I can stop using this term if it causes misunderstandings ;-)

Stefan
--
Stefan Tilkov, http://www.innoq.com/blog/st/