dev@jsr311.java.net

Representation<T> and modifying/wrapping/annotating T <was> Re: Container Independence

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:58:29 +0200

Jerome Louvel wrote:
>> @HttpMethod
>> @ProduceMime("text/plain")
>> String getSomething() {...}
>>
>> whereas you seem to see methods like
>>
>> @HttpMethod
>> SomethingRepresentation getSomething() {...}
>>
>> public class SomethingRepresentation {
>> public String getValue() {...}
>> }
>
> Actually, I think that both designs are useful and likely. I probably didn't
> make this view clear enough in the past. So, we should have strong support
> for both of them.

I don't see the value in having two solutions if one solution is
sufficient. The former (Representation<T>) is simpler than the latter
(modifying/wrapping/annotating T).

I do not see the latter is being common or desirable from a design
perspective. So i think we need to have some really compelling use-cases
for the latter, which cannot be supported by the former, to justify the
increased complexity and duplication it introduces.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz