dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Summary: Representation<T> and Entity<T>

From: Heiko Braun <hbraun_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:31:16 +0200

Hi Dhanji,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:20:23 +1000
"Dhanji R. Prasanna" <dhanji_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/07, Heiko Braun <hbraun_at_redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jerome,
> >
> > yes it will probably ignore that annotation,
> > but the mimeType property that would still get marshalled.
> >
> > I i did get you right, the @MediaType annotated property
> > should not become part of the actual (let's xml) representation on
> > the wire.
>

> Heiko:
>
> Couldnt you mark it transient? JAX-B (or JibX or XStream or whatever
> well-behaved serializer) should ignore the property then. The client
> (requestor) knows the mediatype from http headers anyway, assuming
> that we're both talking about the same "wire."

That's right. But it it simple? Take the possible way's to express this
times the number of representations and it becomes quiet complex.

The reason why i addressing this is that i favor Representation<T> to
contain meta-data, clearly separated from the actual payload. Paul
summarized this quiet well:

"Entity<T> and Representation<T> encapsulate the type to be
parsed/serialized, with common meta-data of the request and response,
respectively without requiring modification of that type."

Regards, Heiko