dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Summary: Representation<T> and Entity<T>

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:26:57 -0400

On Apr 10, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Dhanji R. Prasanna wrote:

> Great summary! Helps me too. We should have a digest like this
> every week or something =).
> I'll bet that'd be useful for people watching this thread only
> occasionally.

I'll see what I can do. The volume of email at the moment is quite
high so this kind of summary can certainly help to focus things a bit.

> On 4/11/07, Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_sun.com> wrote: On Apr 10,
> 2007, at 2:41 PM, Ryan Heaton wrote:
> - Regardless of whether Entity<T> is retained or not we need a
> general purpose mechanism to access request information - said
> another way we shouldn't have to define a separate annotation for
> each piece of metadata.
>
> Just want to clarify that by "we shouldn't have to..." you mean the
> *end-user* shouldnt have to.

No I mean the EG shouldn't have to. E.g. when a new HTTP header gets
invented, a user of JSR 311 shouldn't have to wait for us to release
a new version of the spec before they can access the header in
requests or set it in responses.

> The discussion is around whether jsr311 can offer both granular
> metadata injection points (fine grained @[MetadataItem] on method
> params--which may do some parsing/type coercion) as well as a more
> raw glob of request metadata: HttpRequestContext or (the less-http-
> gnostic) EntityMetadata.

Right. I believe we need both.

Marc.

---