users@jsonb-spec.java.net

[jsonb-spec users] [jsr367-experts] Re: Re: Re: Re: [17-Customizing names]

From: Romain MB <rmannibucau_at_tomitribe.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 02:55:35 +0200

Hi

mainly agree with Eugen but added few comments inline.

Few more comments:
- JsonbProperty has nillable so it should get transient IMO (or
nillable should be removed)
- JsonbCreator misses parameter (like ConstructorProperties)
- Can't date and number format annotations be merged? seems it is not
ambiguous for me and simplifies the API.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Some other comments.
>
> JsonbCreator
> The javadoc could be improved to make it clear what the contract is.
> Only one constructor or static factory method can be annotated with it, the
> marked ctr/method will be used to create instances of that object. A note
> about ctr/method with args would be nice too (are impls supposed to work
> with it or not?).
>
> JsonbDateFormat
> Maybe add an option to ser the property as a timestamp in millis?
> If you don't, then there shouldn't be a default value for "value".

not sure for timestamp option, using a plain long would make it quite
easy as well

> JsonbJavaTypeAdapter
> Why not only JsonbTypeAdapter.
>
> JsonbValue
> Will this single value be "unwrapped" if it is a class that would serialized
> as a json object?
> It might be worth adding an example in the javadoc.
>
> JsonbConfig
> It is maybe not necessary to prefix all the config constants with JSONB.
> Though it has the advantage to avoid namespace conflicts with static
> imports.

since it is part of the API directly I think it is not a big deal.

Side note: why JSONB_STRICT_IJSON, doesn't seem to match the convention?

> WithAdapters overrides the previous result, this should be documented or be
> merged with previous value (as a user it wouldn't be obivous to me, I'd tend
> to think that it merges the adapters).

JsonbConfig#withAdapters should merge adapters (you can still use
setProperty if you want to erase previous ones or we can even add a
real setter).

Side note: having setters and not "builder methods" (withXX) would
make it easy to integrate with any common IoC config IMO.

> And again providing some default impls with the spec would be nice
> (adapters, configs etc).
>
> Eugen

>> Hey Martin,
>>
>> I didn't review all the code yet, but here are my first remarks.
>>
>> General
>> Instead of having all options as strings, I think it would be better to
>> provide them as implementations.
>> The advantages of doing so:
>> - The spec provides stronger guarantees on the default behaviour
>> - This avoids having the same code being rewritten over and over by
>> implementations
>> - Makes the spec more useful

Using strings have the advantage to make it config friendly so I guess
we would need both.

About having defaults or not I think it shouldn't be in the spec since
it is up to the implementations (even if some code canbe trivial).

>> This is something that can be done once and for all.
>>

>> Adapter
>> The methods in Adapter could be called adapt or adaptFrom/adaptTo.

why not using Java8 naming: apply?

>> Why not use type parameters for Adapter, this is much nicer. The end user
>> will have to do a cast inside his ser/de methods,
>> impl ~5 methods just to provide some dummy ser/de? IMO that's way too
>> much.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> interface Adapter<BoundType, ValueType> {
>> ValueType adaptTo(BoundyType obj);
>> BoundType adaptFrom(ValueType json);
>> }

+1, even wonder if splitting both sides wouldn't makes sense. I'm
thinking to a rest service (server only) where you don't care of read
side. So would be @JsonbJavaTypeAdapter(reader = MyReader.class,
writer = MyWriter.class) (or from/to or any other naming convention).

>> PropertyVisibilityStrategy
>> Member does not provide access to annotations, handling things like
>> @JsonTransient requires access to those.

javax.json.bind.config.PropertyVisibilityStrategy#isVisible: agree we
should have annotations but type as well. Is it expected to be casted?
Can't we add a bit like in CDI an abstraction for that? Would be
Property { type, annotations, declaringClass, name, member }. Wonder
if synthetic makes sense or if we skip them before calling the method.

>> PropertyOrderStrategy
>> Reflection gives perhaps to much details/constraints. ANY could perhaps be
>> better = we don't provide any ordering guarantee, don't rely on it.
>> Is it called with the "renamed" name or the originally resolved one?
>> Only the class might not be enough information. How would one match the
>> name to some property if he needs an annotation from it or whatever else?
>> But anyway, except of providing a consistent ordering I don't think there
>> is much value in making ordering customizable.

+1

If we go with a "Property" API we should replace the Class here by
something close to be able to change metadata easily just wrapping a
strategy.