users@jsonb-spec.java.net

[jsonb-spec users] [jsr367-experts] Re: Re: Re: [33-I-JSON Compatibility] Proposal

From: Eugen Cepoi <cepoi.eugen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:11:13 +0200

> >> I understand, that's where we don't see it the exact same way. You
> >> merge it by name where I would merge it by java model with standard
> >> order. So basically I'd do a reduce (java) then validation (json side
> >> if we can call it this way).
> >

> > Ah ok, so you would only merge by the name of the field or method.
> > This is viable but would force to make a distinction between resolved
> name
> > using java bean convention and other naming strategies (annotation,
> custom
> > user strategy etc). For Genson I prefered to have only one name
> resolution
> > system and use it always the same way, there are less "rules" involved
> > making things easier to understand.
> > But it can have some advantages to make the distinction...
> >

> yes basically all is resolved on java side then we can check
> @JsonProperty (supposed it is the right name) to check the name to
> use, if not present use the one deduced from java. Merge is less
> aggressive and allows few validations.

So by java side resolution you mean we use the same strategy as java?
This means that fields/methods from class A overrides what matches in its
super class.
In short:
1) reduce accessors/mutators by name and definition order in class hierarchy
2) apply any "renaming" strategy on the result of 1)
3) reduce the result of 2) using the same strategy as in 1)

If yes then I think we can simplify things by directly applying the
renaming and then doing a single "reduce" that overrides or throws an
exception.

Allowing to override has some advantages, for example you can extend a
class of which you don't have control and redefine how some property would
be ser/de - a quick solution vs implementing a full custom ser/de for that
enclosing type.

Would be interesting to know what others think.

> >> Doesnt impact performances.
> >

> > True, doing it on the resolved java model (with renamed or not
> properties)
> > doesn't change the perfs.
> >

> >> Now the real question is: do we gain anything compared to what you
> >> propose ie ensuring we don't have conflicts. I still think it can make
> >> sense to validate there isn't a "model conflict". Implicit merging can
> >> be hard to debug from my experience.
> >

> > So you would throw an exception for example if there are two properties
> with
> > the same name in a class and its parent?
> > If yes then we should make sure of the "rules" applied as there might be
> > ambiguous situations. How do you think we should distinguish valid from
> > invalid conflicts for renamed properties?
> >

> We can have rules like "an overriden method is not a conflict if a
> field is not hiding parent one" etc but we can also do like in bean
> validation and define inheritance API. A bit more verbose but clearer
> IMO (+ does it really happen often in real life?). Something like
> @OverrideJsonAttribute("parentName").

Having a specific API for overriding looks overkill, I'd prefer just to
agree on a good default behaviour.