users@jsonb-spec.java.net

[jsonb-spec users] [jsr367-experts] Re: [2-DefaultMapping] Proposal

From: Inderjeet Singh <inder_at_alumni.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:59:31 -0700

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Eugen Cepoi <cepoi.eugen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think fromJson(File) is unnecessary and should be removed.
>> Even fromJson(InputStream) is supect, but I guess InputStreams are still
>> all too common.
>>

> I think it is good to keep InputStream, most of the time we deal with
> inputstream or byte arrays.

toJson(..., Appendable appendable) should be better than Writer().

> Hum, writer allows to write array of chars, obtaining a charsequence from
> an array of chars would degrade impls don't you agree?

In Gson, we check if the Appendable is a Writer, if not, we wrap it with an
AppendableWriter object.
Internal implementation shouldn't pollute the API.

Get rid of toJson(..., writer), toJson(..., File) and toJson(...,
>> OutputStream)
>>

> File I don't care, but disagree for OS.

In Gson, we don't provide support for InputStream/OutputStream. Not have
had a single person complain about it so far.
new InputStreamReader(inputStream) works fine. Same goes for OutputStream.

Why complicate Jsonb API with unnecessary clutter.

>> A powerful (and very useful) feature of Gson is custom type adapters. How
>> will that be done in Jsonb.
>>

> I guess it will be achieved via a similar mechanism as the type adapters
> in JAXB?

Which annotation in Jaxb for that?
In Gson, we cared a lot about a non-annotation way as well since classes in
third-party libraries or JDK can't be annotated. What's your thought on
that?

Inder