users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] [jsr338-experts] Re: support for multitenancy

From: Steve Ebersole <steve.ebersole_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:48:29 -0500

>> Will we at least have a standardized annotation for mapping the
>> "tenant identifier" column?
>
> Certainly when we standardize on this approach. I'm not seeing why it
> is essential
> in purely application-managed SaaS however. Is it? If so, why?

In this SHARED_TABLE approach the table *will* have a column that
identifies to which tenant a particular row's data belongs. This
column has to be named. How else where you propsing that the JPA
provider be made aware of this column name?

Obviously if JPA 2.1 is not going to be supporting this SHARED_TABLE
approach at all, this is "not needed". I am just assuming that other
providers will be supporting this as well (Hibernate will) and it seems
to me that standardizing this annotation up front saves end-user
migration later.