jsr338-experts@jpa-spec.java.net

[jsr338-experts] Re: two phase approach to creating the EMF, implicit CDI bean manager support ... was :schema generation proposed changes

From: gordon yorke <gordon.yorke_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:04:30 -0300

> How would it require instanceof checks?
In the proposal implementing interfaces is optional. How else will a
container be able to determine if the interfaces are implemented without
some sort of class check, whether that is instance of, isAssignableFrom,
class.getMethod, etc.
The implementation of the required API should not be optional. If the
container wishes to support older providers then the container will need
to develop a strategy to support the older API.

The two separate interfaces that have the same functionality (creating
an EMF ) means the container must interface with both artifacts always.
I am not sure how widespread code is that interfaces with the
PersistenceProvider currently but all of that would now need optional
code for the two interfaces.

I understand having the intermediary artifacts makes managing those
conceptual components easier. Perhaps the following:

     public interface PersistenceProvider extends PUDeployment{
         public PUDeployment
preDeployPersistenceUnit(PersistenceUnitInfo info, Map map)
     }

     public interface PUDeployment{
         public EntityManagerFactory
createContainerEntityManagerFactory(PersistenceUnitInfo info, Map map);
         public void undeploy();
         public void generateSchema(...);//?
     }

On 21/06/2013 10:57 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
> [...]
> static maps to track stuff which is a recipe for disaster (leaks,
> etc). The integration knows *much better* how to track and scope this
> information.
>
> As for the 2 code paths, I am not following. I guess it depends on
> whether the 2 phase approach becomes the required norm, or whether it
> is viewed as optional. But, regardless, this "2 code paths" argument
> does not hold water; containers would need 2 code paths anyway even in
> your suggestion.
>

> On 06/17/2013 12:07 PM, gordon yorke wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> The PersistenceProvider instance should remain scoped to the
>> provider implementation and continue to manage multiple persistence
>> units. Any persistence provider can easily track the preDeploy call
>> with the unique persistence unit name.
>> Creating an additional interface to represent an instance of the
>> persistence unit creates possible multiple instances of the same
>> persistence unit which adds unneeded complexity. Also, the
>> additional interfaces do not provide any functional value and
>> complicate the interface forcing containers to perform "instance of"
>> checks or perform calls and check the result to determine if the new
>> interfaces are supported. Having the PersistenceProvider manage the
>> persistence units allows the provider to ignore pre-deploy if it is
>> not supported and allows containers to code to a single interface and
>> not require rewriting to now manage an additional artifact should a
>> provider support pre-deploy. With the interfaces as proposed a
>> container would need to have two code paths, one that interfaces with
>> PersistenceProvider and another for the "bootstrap" interface.
>>
>> Alternatively, if an artifact is needed an EntityManagerFactory
>> could be returned in a pre-deployed state from
>> createContainerEntityManagerFactory via a new parameter or property
>> and activated through new API. Although, some of the language in the
>> specification on when certain artifacts are initialized (ie canonical
>> metamodel) would need to change.
>> --Gordon
>>
>> On 17/06/2013 11:51 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>>> Why is adding a method "simpler"? "Simpler" in what sense? From a
>>> user/integration perspective I don't think it makes any difference.
>>> From a provider perspective, I think the proposed solution is far
>>> more conceptually correct and therefore simpler. And I think these
>>> "conceptual" matches tend to work better from a user perspective as
>>> well (when an API and the concept it tries to expose/model match
>>> up...).
>>>
>>> I assume you mean adding preDeploy/preCreate to
>>> PersistenceProvider. Here is what I mean about "conceptuality":
>>>
>>> PersistenceProvider provider = ...;
>>> provider.preDeploy( .. );
>>> provider.createContainerEntityManagerFactory( .. );
>>>
>>> How does the provider track the preDeploy call above as relative to
>>> the eventual createContainerEntityManagerFactory call? Meaning,

>>> provider.preDeploy( setOfArgsForPU2 );
>>> provider.createContainerEntityManagerFactory( pu1 );